Uploading a thesis to the Theseus Open Repository
Start the uploading process of your thesis once it has been completed and your supervisor has approved
it. A thesis may be uploaded to the database only once and cannot be edited once it has been uploaded.
Therefore it is important that you upload the final, approved version of your thesis.
- Convert your thesis to a PDF file (see separate instructions). Name the file
using the format of “Surname_Forename”, for example “Student_Steve.pdf”. The characters allowed are
1-9, a-z, A-Z, _, - and space.
Licence: Accept the Distribution Licence:
- Click the ‘Save thesis’ button on the submissions.theseus.fi page. Then choose your own UAS from the Haka login box and click the Login button.
- First in order to upload your thesis you have grant the terms of the Distribution Licence. Grant the license by selecting 'I Grant the License'; and then click 'Next'-button.
Describe Item: Basic information and user rights
- Write author's name and click Add. If there is more than one author, do the same thing again.
- Enter your email address that you will use after the graduation. The email address is not displayed in Theseus interface.
- Choose which copyrights you will grant to the users of your thesis:
- "“All rights reserved” means that you will retain the rights to your work in accordance with normal copyright legislation.
- You also have the opportunity to share some of your copyrights with the users of your thesis by adopting a Creative Commons licence. With a Creative Commons licence, you can inform other users of what they are allowed to do with your work. You can, for example, allow them to copy, share, display or present your thesis or modified versions of it and to obligate them to reference your name as the original author. You can select a Creative Commons licence when you own all rights to your thesis or you have permission from the owners of parallel copyrights to use the licence.
Read more about Creative Commons.
- Choose the level of the thesis from the drop down directory.
- Choose field of education from the drop down directory. Fields are found in alphabetical order.
- Write down the name of your degree programme and specialisation. Degree programme is a mandatory field, specialisation is optional.
- Write the name of the thesis. Separate the possible subtitle with a colon (Title : Subtitle)
- Generate the URN-identifier by clicking the link. The system will give you a URN address, which will be the permanent link to your thesis on the Internet. Copy the link and save it, if you need to add the permanent link of your thesis to your examination certificate application. You will receive confirmation by email when your UAS library staff has checked your work and your thesis has been transferred to the Theseus open repository. The confirmation includes the address of your thesis URN.
- Choose the year of completion of the thesis and the main language.
- Give subject terms to your work by choosing the terms from a suggested list. Do not use your own terms.
- Add the abstact of your thesis.The abstract can be typed in or copied and pasted. If you are copying from word processor which uses spelling, please remove the spelling from pasted text before copying to Theseus. In case you want to save an abstract with another language, you can use the same function.
If you also want to add an abstract in other language than the thesis main language, do it using the field.
- Add the the name of the orderer or commissioner. This field is not mandatory.
- After filling in all the mandatory fields click "Next".
- Fill in all the manadatory fields and upload your thesis in PDF format.
- You will receive confirmation by email that your thesis has been transferred to
the Theseus open repository. Your work will be visible online once the library personnel of your
university of applied sciences have checked the information related to your thesis.
Upload the file
- Upload the thesis from your computer in PDF format. If you are not able to upload the thesis, check that the name your the file doesn't contain forbidden characters. The characters allowed are 1-9, a-z, A-Z, _, - and space.
- Check the metadata you have given and send it all to Theseus.
Theses published in Theseus are freely available for browsing on the Internet and can also be found with
a Google search, for example. We recommend that you remove any personal contact information, such as
addresses, email addresses and telephone numbers, from the published thesis.
Before commencing the uploading of your thesis in Theseus, please read the
If you encounter any problems uploading your work, or if you for some reason want to cancel your
uploading, please contact the library of your university of applied sciences.